Paramotors

LoggyDriver

Hi Loggy,

I fly microlights and all I can say is, go and have a good look at paramotors first! Watching them take off is a real eye-opener! :nut:. I don't think you need a licence so there's an advantage, probably better off buying a good second-hand wing, a chap I know who used to do paramotoring said he's often known people to buy cheap, brand new wings and they're rubbish. Even then it's still fairly expensive :-)

Hi Loggy,

I fly microlights and all I can say is, go and have a good look at paramotors first! Watching them take off is a real eye-opener! :nut:. I don't think you need a licence so there's an advantage, probably better off buying a good second-hand wing, a chap I know who used to do paramotoring said he's often known people to buy cheap, brand new wings and they're rubbish. Even then it's still fairly expensive :-)

Hello mate,

Ideally I'd love to get a weightshift Microlight, but I can't be bothered doing thousands of pounds worth of training for a PPL. Also they need an airworthy ticket too (I think)

Your right, you don't need a licence and it doesn't have to be on the CAA list. I'm a qualified Skydiver, but the funs over in 10 minutes and your £40 worse off per jump. I was thinking of getting a Paramotor as they look real fun without all the hassle. You can transport them in your car. There is a place in Oxford that does a BHPA course leading to a Pilot Qualification on PPG's. Have you ever fancied it?

Are there any Paramotor Pilots on the forum? I'm thinking of buying one.

NO NO Loggy go all the way mate and get wings and a stonking big motor & fan up front !!!!! thats what i've done, travelled all over europe & north Africa in mine for many years.

P.S. Think I saw your 2 MVs a couple of days ago when I did a breakdown in the end of a cul-de-sac in Didcot ? I had a quick look and they both looked very nice.

Ian

i used to go up often in a freinds microlite till he sold it , i loved it just been looking on ebay at prices of the paramotor wouldnt mind one myself :-)

They are very reasonable in price aren't they. I reckon if you bought new you'd be looking at about £6,000 for a complete rig.

Litchy,

What have you got and how much did it cost you to do your training? I looked into doing my PPL on microlights at Popham airfield. The trouble is there they make you do your first 10 hours or so in a SIMULATOR. Is this normal? I don't want to be paying about £125 per hour to be flying a simulator! The other downside is that you have to buy a microlight or buy shares in one to complete your training.

If you saw a Bedford and Land Rover then yes, they were my vehicles.

They are very reasonable in price aren't they. I reckon if you bought new you'd be looking at about £6,000 for a complete rig.

Litchy,

What have you got and how much did it cost you to do your training? I looked into doing my PPL on microlights at Popham airfield. The trouble is there they make you do your first 10 hours or so in a SIMULATOR. Is this normal? I don't want to be paying about £125 per hour to be flying a simulator! The other downside is that you have to buy a microlight or buy shares in one to complete your training.

If you saw a Bedford and Land Rover then yes, they were my vehicles.

Microlights are not necessarliy the cheepest way to get a PPL its a myth, but they are cheeper once you have a licence.

If you go the SLMG route at somewhere like OSF at Enstone airfield its about half the price of getting an SEP licence (the old A licence) then you do a few hours take a conversion that takes an hour or so and you have a full JAR SEP Licence, you can go almost anywhere with that.

I did it that way and now have over 1,000 hours most of it in Europe, and checked out on 26 types in 16 years of flying.

Ian

Microlights are not necessarliy the cheepest way to get a PPL its a myth, but they are cheeper once you have a licence.

If you go the SLMG route at somewhere like OSF at Enstone airfield its about half the price of getting an SEP licence (the old A licence) then you do a few hours take a conversion that takes an hour or so and you have a full JAR SEP Licence, you can go almost anywhere with that.

I did it that way and now have over 1,000 hours most of it in Europe, and checked out on 26 types in 16 years of flying.

Ian

What's SLMG, SEP and JAR stand for?